By: Babagana Bukar Wakil, Maiduguri
Police in Borno on Wednesday debunked rumoured attack on the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Atiku Abubakar at a campaign rally in Maiduguri.
Spokesman of the Atiku presidential campaign council, Mr Dino Melaye, had said earlier in the say that at least 74 persons were hospitalised while several vehicles were vandalised as hoodlums attacked Atiku’s motorcade in Maiduguri.
Spokesman, Borno state police Command ASP Kamilu Shatambaya, told newsmen, that the allegation was baseless and had no truth in it.
Shatambaya described the report that Abubakar was attacked while addressing a rally in Maiduguri as mischievous.
He described the story as fake, a hoax and an attempt by some unguided people to incite disturbances and disrupt peaceful coexistence of people of the state.
He explained that the rally was conducted successfully under tight and adequate security coverage.
The candidate was accompanied to the Shehu of Borno’s palace after which he was accompanied to the Ramat Square where he addressed his supporters.
Shatambaya said nobody had reported any case of attack to any police station within Maiduguri and Jere.
Dino also accused the All Progressives Congress (APC) of trying to stop PDP’s campaign in Borno by deploying thugs to attack its supporters.
He lamented that the thugs were deployed in many strategic locations along the route of the motorcade.
The APC Chairman Borno State Ali Bukar Dalori stressed that Melaye was always economical with the truth.
He said “I am disappointed by the allegations made by Dino Melaye that some APC thugs attacked Abubakar’s motorcade while in Maiduguri for a rally.
He also said “We all know that since Governor Babagana Zulum took over the mantle of leadership, he banned all forms of thuggery in the state.