No DSS Advisory Before Buhari On Muslim-Muslim Ticket, Presidency Reacts

nigeria
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

The Presidency has denied an alleged advisory from the Department of State Service (DSS) spelling out the risks to national stability should persons of the same faith emerge as president and vice president of the country in 2023.

An online newspaper had claimed that the DSS raised alarm that it had noted that the decision of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, to nominate a fellow Muslim as vice-presidential candidate for 2023 presidential election “is a tailored recipe for renewed sectarian crises that could destabilise Nigeria.”

The report suggested that a DSS memo had been forwarded to President Muhammadu Buhari, urging him to consider the security implications of Tinubu’s choice before making it public.

But a statement issued by Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to the President (Media & Publicity), in response to the newspaper report, on Friday ,maintained that there is no DSS advisory before President Buhari on the APC running mate.

While noting that the report is false, the statement said: “We wish to advise well-meaning Nigerians to ignore a laughably puerile report by an apparently pirate online newspaper seeking to sow division and chaos on the choice of Governor Kashim Shettima as the running mate of our party’s Presidential Candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

It also said that “This so-called newspaper is like a deadly virus. Stay safe by keeping away from its toxic reports.”

Leave a Reply