The Federal Government has voted N100 billion for the 2021 counter-terrorism operations in North East region that claimed many lives and property.
The operations, being executed by Operation Lafiya Dole in Sambisa Forest and Lake Chad region of Borno state, is expected to end by June this year.
Senate Committee Chairman on Army, Sen. Mohammed Ali Ndume disclosed this on Thursday in Maiduguri, while lamenting on the ill-equipped Nigerian Army with old and outdated fighting arms and ammunition.
According to him the personnel and the recurrent budgets of the armed forces in this year’s budget has a total of N675 billion.
He said the releases are not only for Operation Lafiya Dole but to recruit 8,000 soldiers while training of others is being conducted at Zaria and in Falgore.
Ndume who represents Borno south senatorial district however noted that the N100 billion budgeted for the operation as against last year’s budget of N75 billion was inevitable to end the war.
He said the increased budgetary allocations to the military, followed complaints presented by the leadership of the Armed Forces on inadequate funding and procurement of weapons.
He noted that all they asked for have been approved by the Federal Government in the 2021 budget.
While lamenting over a decade insurgency, he said, There is the likelihood of terrorism persisting in Nigeria ,warning that unless there are appropriate responses from all stakeholders.
He said the capital funding of the army will run concurrently with the budget that was signed up to the end of March to enable the military procure all the necessary weapons.
He therefore called on Nigerians to remain steadfast and always complement the military’s effort in the fight against insurgency.