Chadian President Claims total elimination of Bako Haram in the Lake Chad region Vows not to take part in military operations outside national borders.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Chadian President Idriss Deby Itno has said his country’s troops, who have been deployed to fight jihadists in the Lake Chad region and the Sahel, will no longer take part in military operations outside national borders.
His remarks coincided with the end of a major offensive by Chad’s armed forces against Boko Haram jihadists but also frustration at perceived failures by allies to do more in the fight.
On Thursday, the armed forces said they had wound up an operation against Boko Haram in the Lake Chad region, saying 52 troops had been lost and a thousand jihadists killed.
The operation was launched after 98 Chadian troops were killed in a Boko Haram raid on a base at Bohoma in the lake’s marshlands on March 23rd, the biggest one-day military loss in the country’s history.
In announcing the end of the offensive on Thursday, the army said its troops had expelled jihadists from Chadian soil and had advanced deep into Niger and Nigeria.
Deby said that he had warned those countries that his forces would move out of bases seized there from the jihadists by April 22, regardless of whether their armed forces moved in or not.
Chadian troops are also part of the so-called G5 Sahel force — a French-backed scheme to pool 5,000 troops from Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger to roll back jihadism in the Sahel.

Leave a Reply